Why does xylitol kill dogs?

Xylitol is considered to be 100 times more lethal to dogs than chocolate and force a dog into hypoglycemic seizures in as little as 10 minutes after eating.

Two pieces of sugar-free gum are estimated to be enough to send a dog into xylitol poisoning convulsions.

Immediately after consumption, xylitol confuses the dog’s pancreas into storing insulin, which removes the necessary sugar from the bloodstream. The dog will become instantly weak with seizures and tremors beginning as quickly as 10 minutes after eating.

Immediate indications of xylitol poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of coordination. The dog may quickly deteriorate into uncontrollable tremors or seizures within minutes so quick action is needed to save your friend.

Toxic to dogs, xylitol has become an increasingly common ingredient in sugar-free products that are mass-produced by large companies. Sugar-free peanut butter, chewing gum, breath mints, candy, baked goods, and many more foods we eat every day are created using xylitol as a cheap substitute for sugar.

Thousands of dogs get sick every year from xylitol poisoning, many of them dying in less than two hours of eating xylitol.

If you think your dog has eaten any candy, gum, or foods with xylitol, contact your veterinarian immediately.

The Pet Poison Hotline number is: 855-764-7661

How to prevent xylitol poisoning:

  1. Read ingredients of anything you feed your dog, especially sugar-free peanut butter
  2. Keep all gum, candy, and mints out of reach of your dog (close backpacks and purses)
  3. Have the phone number for your vet in a place you can quickly find it


#dogs #dog #4L #doglife