No, your dog should never eat grapefruit.
Grapefruit is one of the foods that is debated when it comes to the level of toxicity for dogs. To be honest, the bitter fruit has such an unusual taste few dogs will eat it even when offered. However, the most harmful part of grapefruit is the tree, stems, leaves, and sticks. These parts contain oils and psoralens that can be toxic to canines (and felines and horses, too). The grapefruit rind is also harmful to dogs and should be avoided.
As for the actual fruit of the grapefruit, that, too, is in debate. Some experts claim the fruit is a healthy addition to a diet. However, the majority of voices on the topic, especially the ASPCA, all cite grapefruit toxicity as a major problem for dogs.
Here are signs to look for if you think your dog may suffer from grapefruit toxicity:
- Sensitivity to sunlight
If you think your dog has eaten any grapefruit or has chewed on any grapefruit leaves or sticks, take your dog to the veterinarian immediately.
#dogs #dog #4L #doglife