Can dogs eat onion?

No! Dogs should never, ever eat onions in any form: raw, cooked, powder, or chopped.

Part of the allium family of plants (like garlic), onions contains an ingredient called thiosulfate, which is very harmful to dogs, causing toxicity. Thiosulfate damages red blood cells which can result in hemolytic anemia. Some of the symptoms of anemia include rapid breathing, lethargy, weakness, dark urine, pale mucous membranes, and jaundice. Symptoms of leek toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, loss of appetite, and apparent abdominal pain.

If you see any of the signs of onion toxicity or anemia take your dog to the veterinarian. Onion toxicity is rarely serious, so there’s a chance your dog will be OK after drinking more water and avoiding the harmful food.

Japanese breeds like Shiba Inus and Akitas are especially prone to poisoning from garlic, leeks, and onions.


#dogs #dog #4L #doglife