Ad

Can my dog eat Macadamia nuts?

No! Dogs should never eat Macadamia nuts or inhale the dust from the packaging of the nuts.

Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs and are considered to be one of the worst foods for dogs that are easy for humans to eat. Even one Macadamia nut can be poisonous to your dog.

Signs of Macadamia nut poisoning include vomiting, spasms, ataxia (loss of body movement), weakness, feeling warm, and lethargy.

If you suspect your dog has eaten as few as ONE Macadamia nut, contact your veterinarian immediately.  According to the American Kennel Club, “if caught early enough, vomiting can be induced, but only after speaking with your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435).

“Your vet may recommend close at-home observation and additionally, activated charcoal and/or a cathartic to help the nuts speed through your dog’s digestive system. More serious cases will require care and treatment at a veterinary hospital. If your dog ingested a large amount of the nuts or if another toxicity, chocolate for example, is involved, treatment will be more aggressive. The good news is that generally, if treated, a dog will recover fully and return to normal within several days.”

-4L-

#dogs #dog #4L #doglife

SOURCES:
preventivevet.com

petmd.com

vetmed.wsu.edu

akc.org

webmd.com

petcha.com

FacebooktwitterpinterestyoutubetumblrFacebooktwitterpinterestyoutubetumblr
Ad